As a homeowner, you may not give much thought to your switchboard, but it plays a crucial role in your home. A properly functioning switchboard ensures the safety and reliability of your home’s electrical system, but an outdated or faulty one can pose a serious risk. Read on to discover the signs that your switchboard needs an upgrade, so you can keep your home and family safe.
What is a Switchboard?
Before we dive into the signs that your switchboard needs an upgrade, let’s first understand what a switchboard is. A switchboard, also known as a circuit breaker panel or distribution board, is an essential component of your home’s electrical system. It receives the electrical supply from the power company and distributes it to different circuits within your home. The switchboard is designed to trip and cut off the electrical supply when an overload or short circuit occurs, preventing electrical fires and other hazards.
Your Switchboard Upgrade Checklist: Signs to Look Out for
- Age of the Switchboard: Switchboards have a lifespan of around 20–30 years. If your switchboard is older than this, it’s likely outdated and not up to current safety standards.
- Circuit Breaker Trips Frequently: If your circuit breaker trips frequently, it could be a sign of an overloaded switchboard or a faulty circuit breaker.
- Fuses Blowing Regularly: If you have an older switchboard with fuses instead of circuit breakers, blowing fuses can indicate an overloaded circuit or faulty wiring.
- Burning Smell: If you notice a burning smell coming from your switchboard, it’s a clear sign of an electrical problem that needs immediate attention. Call us on (02) 9875 5533 and we’ll get someone to your place immediately.
- Buzzing Sound: A buzzing or humming sound from your switchboard could indicate loose wiring or a malfunctioning component.
- Lights Flicker: If your lights flicker or dim when you turn on a high-powered appliance, it could be a sign of an overloaded switchboard.
- Outdated Switchboard: If your switchboard has outdated technology, it may not be able to handle the electrical demands of modern appliances and electronics.
Why Upgrade Your Switchboard?
Upgrading your switchboard may seem like an unnecessary expense, but it’s an investment in the safety and reliability of your home’s electrical system. Here are a few reasons why you should consider upgrading your switchboard:
- Safety: An outdated or faulty switchboard can pose a serious safety risk. Upgrading your switchboard can help prevent electrical fires and other hazards.
- Convenience: An upgraded switchboard can handle the electrical demands of modern appliances and electronics, so you don’t have to worry about tripped circuits or blown fuses.
- Energy Efficiency: An upgraded switchboard can also improve the energy efficiency of your home in Sydney by reducing energy waste and lowering your utility bills.
- Compliance: If you’re planning to sell your home or rent it out, an upgraded switchboard can help you meet compliance requirements and increase the value of your property.
What to do When You Need to Upgrade Your Switchboard
If you’ve identified any signs indicating your switchboard needs an upgrade, it’s essential to act now. Here are some steps to follow when you need to upgrade your switchboard:
- Call a licensed electrician: Upgrading a switchboard is not a DIY project. You’ll need a licensed electrician to inspect your current switchboard, assess your electrical needs, and recommend a suitable replacement. Use a trusted, local electrician in Sydney to get the electrical work done right the first time. M.E. Ward is one of Sydney’s leading electrical services companies. We have 60+ years of experience working with switchboards, so get in touch today.
- Get a quote: Once the electrician has assessed your switchboard, they’ll provide a quote for the upgrade. Be sure to get a detailed quote that includes all costs, such as labour, materials and any additional work that may need to be done.
- Schedule the upgrade: If you decide to go ahead with the upgrade, schedule a time with your electrician that works for you. Remember that some upgrades may take longer than others, so be prepared for some disruption to your daily routine.
- Consider additional upgrades: While upgrading your switchboard, it may be a good time to consider additional electrical upgrades, such as installing safety switches or adding extra power points. Call us on (02) 9875 5533 and we can advise you on what upgrades would benefit your home.
If you’re in Sydney and need to upgrade your switchboard, contact M.E. Ward Electrical Services. Our licensed electricians have years of experience upgrading switchboards and providing other electrical services. We offer competitive pricing, quality workmanship and excellent customer service. Contact us today to schedule your switchboard upgrade.