As a business owner or office manager, you know the importance of keeping your workplace running smoothly. However, electrical issues can disrupt your workflow, resulting in downtime, safety hazards and potential damage to your equipment. To prevent these issues from occurring, have your electrical systems regularly maintained and checked for any potential problems.
Having a local Sydney commercial electrician that you can trust is vital so you can book regular maintenance checks and upgrades when needed. From electrical repairs to installations, M.E. Ward has a trustworthy team of qualified electricians ready to help you.
Don’t Ignore the Signs
Electrical issues rarely appear out of nowhere and with no warning. Like the human body, there are tell-tale signs you can look for and be aware of to avoid more significant issues that will cost you more time and money if left untouched.
Here are five reasons your office may need electrical maintenance now; this isn’t Bingo and you don’t want to tick all these boxes!
- Flickering Lights: If your lights are flickering or dimming regularly, it could indicate that your electrical system is overloaded or damaged. This could be due to a faulty circuit or wiring issue, leading to further damage or a fire hazard. Flickering lights can also cause headaches and eye strain in employees, leading to decreased productivity and potential safety hazards. If you’re experiencing flickering lights, have a licensed electrician inspect your electrical system to identify and fix the issue.
- Burning Smell: If you notice a burning smell coming from your electrical outlets or wiring, it’s crucial to take immediate action. A burning smell is an indication that there is a potential fire hazard, which could lead to severe damage or injury. This could be caused by faulty wiring, an overloaded circuit or a damaged appliance. Turn off the power to the affected area and call us immediately on (02) 9875 5533 to inspect and repair the issue.
- Electrical Shocks: If you’re experiencing electrical shocks when using appliances or touching electrical outlets, it could be a sign of a serious electrical issue. Faulty wiring or damaged electrical appliances can cause electrical shocks, potential safety hazards and damage to your equipment. Immediately cease using the outlet or device, disconnect the power and call us on (02) 9875 5533.
- Tripping Circuit Breakers: If your circuit breakers regularly trip, it could indicate that your electrical system is overloaded or damaged. This could be caused by faulty wiring, damaged appliances or an outdated electrical system. If you’re having difficulty confirming why your circuit breaker is continually tripping, call us on (02) 9875 5533 and we’ll be happy to help.
- Outdated Electrical System: Older buildings have a unique charm that many love, but if your electrical system is outdated, it could be causing potential safety hazards and damage to your equipment and jeopardising productivity. An outdated electrical system in Sydney may not meet current NSW safety standards, which could lead to serious safety hazards and damage to your equipment. Additionally, an obsolete electrical system may not be able to handle the power demands of your modern equipment, leading to potential overload and damage to your equipment. If you’re ready to look at upgrading your office electrical system, get in touch today for a quote.
How Often Do I Need an Electrical Inspection for My Office?
The frequency of electrical inspections for an office can vary depending on the age of the building, the type of electrical system, the amount of electrical equipment and the level of electrical usage.
As a general guideline, the Australian Standard recommends that electrical equipment in the workplace should be tested and inspected at intervals of no more than five years. It’s also important to have an electrical inspection after significant renovations or upgrades to the electrical system or equipment to ensure everything is installed and functioning correctly. Read more about electrical inspection and testing and your responsibilities as a business or employer at SafeWork NSW.
Consult with a licensed and qualified electrician to determine the appropriate frequency of electrical inspections for your office based on your specific needs and circumstances.
Regular electrical maintenance is essential to keep your office running smoothly and safely. If you’re experiencing any of the above indicators, it’s crucial to have your electrical system inspected by a licensed electrician in Sydney. Don’t let electrical issues disrupt your workflow—take action and ensure safety and productivity in your workplace.