Upgrading your switchboard is a vital step in ensuring the safety and reliability of your electrical system. Switchboards are essential to your home or business’s electrical system as they distribute electricity throughout your property and protect your electrical devices from surges. However, if your switchboard is old or outdated, it may be unable to keep up with your electrical needs. So, what happens when you need to upgrade the switchboard?
Inspection and Assessment of the Old Switchboard
Before the upgrade begins, a licensed Sydney electrician, like M.E. Ward, will inspect your current switchboard and assess your electrical needs. They will determine the size and type of switchboard that best suits your home’s electrical requirements. They may also check the wiring and circuit breakers to ensure they are in good working condition.
The 6 Steps to Upgrade a Switchboard
Once the electrician has assessed your switchboard, they will proceed with the upgrade process, which includes the following steps:
- Isolate the power supply: The electrician will isolate the power supply to your home to ensure no electricity flows through the switchboard during the upgrade process.
- Remove the existing switchboard: The old switchboard will be carefully removed and disposed of following environmental regulations.
- Install the new switchboard: The new switchboard will be installed in the same location as the old one. The electrician will connect the new switchboard to the power supply and ensure all connections are secure and safe.
- Test the new switchboard: The electrician will test it to ensure it works correctly and all circuits are properly balanced.
- Label circuits: Once the new switchboard is installed, the electrician will label each circuit breaker to help you identify the circuits that power specific areas of your home.
- Provide a compliance certificate: The electrician will provide you with a compliance certificate confirming the switchboard has been upgraded in accordance with Australian standards.
In addition to the basic steps listed above, some additional considerations may be necessary depending on the condition of your home or business’s electrical system:
- Upgrading wiring: If the wiring is outdated or damaged, the electrician may recommend upgrading it at the same time as the switchboard upgrade. This can help ensure that your electrical system is safe and reliable.
- Installing safety switches: Safety switches are an important safety feature that can protect you, your family or your employees from electrical hazards. The electrician may recommend installing safety switches during the switchboard upgrade process.
- Upgrading power supply: If your home or office’s power supply is insufficient for your electrical needs, the electrician may recommend upgrading it at the same time as the switchboard upgrade. This can ensure that your home has the power to operate all your electrical devices.
How Upgrading Your Switchboard Can Save You Money
Switchboard upgrades can also help you reduce your carbon footprint and contribute to a more sustainable future. Upgrading to a more energy-efficient switchboard can reduce your energy consumption and save money on your energy bills. In addition, modern switchboards often come with features that allow you to monitor your energy usage and adjust to reduce waste. By making these changes, you can reduce your environmental impact and contribute to a more sustainable future.
Can I Install a Switchboard Myself?
A switchboard upgrade is a major electrical project that should only be carried out by a licensed and experienced electrician. Upgrading your switchboard can improve the safety and reliability of your electrical system and can also give you the peace of mind that your home is protected from electrical hazards.
If you suspect that your switchboard needs upgrading or if you are planning any major electrical renovations, it is important to consult with a licensed electrician. At M.E. Ward Electrical Services, we have the knowledge and expertise to carry out the highest quality switchboard upgrades in Sydney and surrounding suburbs. Contact us online or on (02) 9875 5533 to discuss your electrical needs and to arrange an inspection.