When it comes to electrical work, it’s important to know which one you should call for specific tasks. General electricians are trained and licensed to handle various electrical work, including installations, repairs and maintenance. In contrast, Level 2 ASP (Accredited Service Provider) electricians have additional qualifications to perform more complex electrical work.
Knowing the difference between a general electrician and a Level 2 ASP electrician can help you make informed decisions when hiring an electrician for your specific electrical needs.
When to Hire a General Electrician
General electricians are licensed professionals who can provide a range of electrical services, including installations, repairs and maintenance. They are trained to work on various electrical systems, including residential, commercial and industrial. Some of the services provided by general electricians include:
- Electrical installations: If you’re renovating your home or office and need electrical installations, such as wiring, lighting or power outlets, a general electrician can help.
- Electrical repairs: A general electrician can diagnose and repair the issue if you’re experiencing electrical problems, such as a tripping circuit breaker.
- Electrical maintenance: If you want to ensure your electrical system is functioning correctly and safely, a general electrician can perform routine maintenance and safety inspections.
General electricians can provide wiring, rewiring, lighting installation, fault finding and testing for your home or business. They can also offer electrical safety inspections and assessments to identify potential hazards.
If you’re looking for a trusted and reliable general electrician in Sydney, M.E. Ward has over 60 years of experience. Our team are qualified and licensed; get in touch today for fast and reliable service.
- Installation and replacement of meter box, switchboards and defect rectification
- Thermo-graphic testing
- Switchboard reports (insurance) and replacement of switchboard
- Data logging and report of installation
- Complete rewiring of existing homes and buildings (single and multi-storey)
- Emergency storm damage repairs
- Installation, replacement and repairs of
- Internal and external power and lighting
- Hot water, oven and cooktops
- Smoke detectors and safety switches
- Pool lighting and pump repairs
- Telephone, data and TV outlets
- Ceiling sweep fans and exhaust fans
- Earthing system
- Car park and security lighting
- Emergency and exit lighting
- Testing and tagging of electrical appliances and equipment
When to Hire a Level 2 ASP Electrician
If you need electrical work performed on infrastructure directly connected to the electricity distribution network or electrical work performed near the network, you’ll need to hire a Level 2 ASP electrician. Some of the situations where you may need to hire a Level 2 ASP electrician include:
- Metering: They can install and replace electricity meters for residential and commercial properties.
- Disconnect and reconnect services: They can safely disconnect and reconnect the power supply to a property or an electrical system.
- Overhead and underground service lines: Level 2 ASP electricians can install and repair overhead and underground service lines, including connecting or disconnecting service to the electricity network.
- Electrical work near the electricity network: They’re authorised to carry out electrical work within close proximity of the electricity network, ensuring that the work is carried out safely and in compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Defect repairs: They can repair any electrical defects identified by an electrical inspector or the energy distributor.
- Upgrade service capacity: Level 2 ASP electricians can upgrade the capacity of the electrical service to accommodate increased electrical demands.
If you’re seeking a Level 2 ASP electrician servicing Sydney and surrounding areas, call M.E. Ward Electrical Services on (02) 9875 5533 or contact us online. Level 2 electrical services we offer include:
- Ausgrid and endeavour energy defect rectification
- Relocation and repairs to the point of attachment
- Overhead cable replacement, installation and upgrades from 1-phase (single) to 3-phase power
- Timber and steel pole installation and replacement
- Underground cabling replacement, installation and upgrades
- Underground to overhead cabling replacement, installation and upgrades
- Metering replacement, installation and upgrades
- Storm damage repairs
- Consumer mains replacement and upgrades
Qualifications and Training Differences
There are significant qualifications and training differences between general and Level 2 ASP electricians. To become a general electrician, an individual must complete a Certificate III in Electrotechnology, which covers electrical theory and practical skills related to installing, maintaining and repairing electrical systems. Additionally, they must obtain a license from their state’s electrical regulatory body, which involves passing an exam and meeting other requirements, such as completing an apprenticeship.
Becoming a Level 2 ASP electrician requires additional qualifications, training and certification issued by the NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment. To become a Level 2 ASP electrician, an individual must complete additional training in electrical installations, including installing overhead and underground power lines, switchboards and other complex electrical systems.
While both general electricians and Level 2 ASP electricians are licensed professionals, choosing the right type of electrician for your electrical needs is vital to ensure they’re authorised to carry out the required work.
You can’t go past M.E. Ward Electrical Services for a reliable Sydney electrician. We have expert general and Level 2 ASP electricians ready to service the Northern Beaches, Upper North Shore, Parramatta, Macquarie Park, Lower North Shore and Inner West. Call us today on (02) 9875 5533 or contact us online.