Homes today are becoming increasingly complex with many high-tech appliances and devices. However, with this technological advancement comes a greater risk of power surges and electrical damage. This has led many homeowners to question whether surge protection is necessary for modern or new homes in Australia.
The Risks of Power Surges
A power surge is a sudden increase in voltage that lasts for a fraction of a second. While power surges may only last a short time, they can cause significant damage to appliances and electronics in your home. Various factors, including lightning strikes, power outages and electrical problems can cause these surges, including:
- Damage to appliances and electronics: Power surges can cause damage to sensitive electronic devices, such as computers, televisions and gaming consoles. They can also cause damage to large appliances, such as refrigerators, washing machines and air conditioning units.
- Fire hazards: In extreme cases, power surges can cause electrical fires that can significantly damage your home.
- Costly repairs and replacements: The cost of repairing or replacing damaged appliances and electronics can be substantial, mainly if the damage is extensive.
The Benefits of Surge Protection
Surge protection can help protect your home and family from the risks associated with power surges. By diverting excess voltage away from your electronic devices and appliances, surge protectors can help prevent damage caused by power surges.
Some of the benefits of surge protection include:
- Protection for appliances and electronics: Surge protection can help prevent damage to sensitive electronic devices and large appliances in your home. This can save you money on costly repairs or replacements.
- Increased safety: Surge protection can help prevent electrical fires in your home, which can be a significant safety concern.
- Peace of mind: With surge protection installed in your home, you can know that your appliances and electronics are protected from unexpected voltage spikes.
Do I Need a Surge Protector Installed?
Here are five questions you can ask to determine whether you need a Sydney electrician to install a surge protector:
- What type of electrical service do you have? If your home has a single-phase electrical service, you may need an electrician to install a surge protector. Three-phase service (for commercial and industrial loads) may not require the same level of protection. If you’re unsure of your electrical service, call us on (02) 9875 5533.
- Do you have sensitive electronic equipment or appliances? It may be worth investing in a surge protector if you have expensive electronics, appliances or equipment that a power surge could damage.
- What is the age and condition of your electrical system? How old are your home and electrical system? If the system is outdated or in poor condition, it may be more vulnerable to power surges and you should consider installing a protector.
- Have you experienced regular power surges or outages in the past? If you’ve experienced regular or ongoing power surges or outages in the past, it’s a good idea to consider a surge protector.
- Do you live in an area with a high risk of lightning strikes or other electrical disturbances? If you live in an area with a high risk of lightning strikes or other electrical disturbances, a surge protector can be vital to protect your family and home.
Understanding the Need for Surge Protection in Your Home
While surge protection is not required by law for modern or new homes in Australia, it is highly recommended. The sensitive electronics and appliances in modern homes are more susceptible to power surges than older, less complex electrical systems.
While many newer appliances and devices come equipped with built-in surge protection, this protection may not be enough to prevent damage caused by more significant power surges. Additionally, even with built-in surge protection, your devices and appliances are at risk of damage from smaller power surges.
Installing surge protection in your Sydney home can help protect your appliances and electronics from the damaging effects of power surges. By investing in surge protection, you can have peace of mind knowing that your valuable devices and appliances are protected from unexpected voltage spikes.
Call M.E. Ward, your preferred and trusted electrical contractor in Sydney, on (02) 9875 5533 to discuss surge protection options for your home. We’re here to help with all your electrical needs.